Punjab Team in Indian T20 League 2022
The Punjab cricket team is a Punjab-based cricket team competing in the T20 series. In 2008, the Punjab cricket team was formed. The team’s home ground is the PCA Stadium in Mohali.
The Punjab squad is one of the most experienced T20 squads yet to win the title. They advanced to the 2014 finals but were unable to make the final push.
The Punjab cricket team has various owners, but Bollywood actress Preity Zinta is the face of the team. Its top four players for 2022 will include Shikhar Dhawan, Mayank Agarwal, Jonny Bairstow and Liam Livingstone, making the quartet the most dangerous in the league this season. They literally have everything a T20 team needs in these four players.
Punjab Team Schedule
Fri 1st Apr – 7:30 PM
Sun 3rd Apr – 7:30 PM
Fri 8th Apr – 7:30 PM
Punjab vs Gujarat
Wed 13th Apr – 7:30 PM
Sun 17th Apr – 3:30 PM
Wed 20th Apr – 7:30 PM
Mon 25th Apr – 7:30 PM
Fri 29th Apr – 7:30 PM
Punjab vs Lucknow
Tue 3rd May – 7:30 PM
Gujarat vs Punjab
Sat 7th May – 3:30 PM
Fri 13th May – 7:30 PM
Mon 16th May – 7:30 pm
Sun 22nd May – 7:30 pm
Punjab squad’s top players
The Punjab team made the most of their high cash reserves by picking players like Kagiso Rabada, Shikhar Dhawan, Liam Livingstone, Jonny Bairstow, Tamil Nadu batsman Shahrukh Khan, and left-arm spinner Harpreet Brar.
Although Dhawan’s name came up for captaincy, the management had already decided to declare Agarwal as captain way before the auction. As a batsman and senior player, Dhawan adds tremendous value to this lineup.
Punjab Squad Analysis: Indian T20 League 2022
By Vivek Krishnan
After 14 years of participation in the Indian T20 League, Punjab have still not tasted success. Although they made the finals in 2014, their inconsistency in the league stages has been a matter of concern for the franchise.
Changes galore from players, captains, coaches to re-branding, Punjab have tried it all, but to no avail. Once again, they have a newly formed team that will be led by Mayank Agarwal.
Although Punjab failed to retain KL Rahul, they did well to rope in the veteran opener, Shikhar Dhawan at the auction. Having washed the slate almost clean, Punjab will be hoping for a positive turnaround in 2022.
After the added responsibility of captaining the side, it will be interesting to see what strategy Mayank Agarwal adopts with the willow. He scored 441 runs in the 2021 edition at 40.09, which proved to be very rewarding for fantasy players.
Kagiso Rabada might have gone through a rough season for Delhi in 2021. However, he is a world-class performer, known for dismissing the key batters early. His addition to the squad augurs well for Punjab.
Arshdeep Singh impressed one and all with his matured bowling. In the previous season, he provided timely wickets for Punjab, regardless of the match situation. His ability to keep things under check at the death overs will be a huge plus for his team. He finished 2021 with 18 wickets in 12 games.
All eyes will be on the Tamil Nadu, big-hitter Shah Rukh Khan. He has already shown glimpses of his six-hitting ability in the Indian T20 League. With Punjab buying him back at the auction, he could be given the all-important role of a finisher.
The inclusion of dynamic white-ball cricketers Jonny Bairstow and Liam Livingstone will add more fire-power to the Punjab batting. While it is unknown whether Bairstow will play as a pure batter or also handle the wicket-keeping duties, Livingstone is likely to be used as a finisher. Moreover, he is also capable of rolling his arm over, in search of wickets.
Rahul Chahar has been a regular wicket-taker for Mumbai over the past two years. His move to Punjab will see him operate as the frontline spinner, alongside the Harpreet Brar.
With two premier Indian batters in Dhawan and Agarwal, Punjab’s opening pair appears formidable. The righty-lefty combination will further make it a challenge for the bowlers to operate. If the duo can replicate what Rohit Sharma-Quinton de Kock did for Mumbai, thenPunjab will have the momentum on their side.
While Punjab always had a strike bowler in their squad, they never managed to construct a bowling attack, coupled with variety and depth. That said, their think-tank did well to add potency to the department at the auction. From champion new ball bowlers, frontline Indian spinners to death specialists, Punjab seem to have found a solution to all the bowling, related issues.
The lack of quality and renowned all-rounders can be a concern. Unless the domestic Indian cricketers step up, Punjab could get exposed. Too much reliance on Livingstone and Bairstow can also be dangerous. If the English duo remain unavailable for whatever reasons, then finishing the game could be a problem area.
Probable XI for the first game: Shikhar Dhawan, Mayank Agarwal (c), Jonny Bairstow, Liam Livingstone, Shahrukh Khan, Prabhsimran Singh (wk)Odean Smith/Nathan Ellis, Harpreet Brar, Kagiso Rabada, Arshdeep Singh, Rahul Chahar
After multiple attempts, the Punjab management have finally compiled a formidable team. It will be interesting to see how Agarwal leads the side, with adequate assistance from other senior professionals. It’s a new team entering a new season, and with a new set of beliefs, the beleaguered Punjab team can create history.
Raj Angad Bawa
Overall statistics of the Punjab team
- Win Percentage: Punjab Team has a 45.78 win percentage (for teams that have played 100 or more games), which is second from the last for teams that have played 100 or more games. They have won 85 of their 176 games and lost 101.
- Top Run-getter: The best batsman for this franchise is Shaun Marsh, who heads the team with 2477 in 69 innings pitched at 39.95. His records consist of one century and 20 fifties. Captain KL Rahul has 1922 runs from 28 innings at a solid 54.91 average at a phenomenal strike rate of above 140. He’s got 17 fifties and 2 tons under his belt.
- Highest individual score: 132* by KL Rahul, scored against Bangalore in 2020, is the highest individual score in Dubai with 14 fours and seven sixes in a mere 69 balls. The Punjab Cricket Team finished with a score of 206/3. Bangalore was swept out for 109 runs in response.
- Maximum score: At Dharamsala in 2011, the Punjab players made 232 against Bangalore in 2011. Adam Gilchrist was the main agent of damage here with 106 off 55 balls, smashing eight fours and nine sixes. Supporting him was yet another southpaw, Shaun Marsh, who made 79 in just 49 balls. The Bangalore team was bowled out for just 121 runs, losing by a huge 111 runs.
- Highest wicket-taker: With 84 wickets from 87 innings at 26.63, Piyush Chawla is the top wicket-taker for the Punjab Team. He had one four-wicket haul and an economy rate of 7.52 and a strike rate of 21.2. The current crop’s leading wicket-taker, Mohammed Shami has 39 wickets from 28 matches at a strike rate of 23.82. He has a strike rate of 16.5 and an economy rate of 8.62.
- Maximum Losses: The Punjab team has lost most of their games against Hyderabad, registering a loss percentage of 68.75. The Punjab squad lost 11 of their 16 games and won just five.
- Domination in the UAE: The Punjab cricket team dominated UAE in 2014, winning all five matches. They managed to win comfortably, and their season ended with them reaching the finals for the first time. Unfortunately, they couldn’t win it, losing in a thrilling match against Kolkata.
Facts About the Punjab Team
- The Punjab team players have three hat-tricks in the T20 series: Lakshmipathy Balaji in 2008, Amit Mishra in 2011, and Sunil Narine in 2013.
- Shaun Marsh scored 1064 runs in 27 innings for the Punjab Team in the T20 series, a strike rate of 130.23 and an average of 44.33. The most by a Punjab Team player at any venue in a T20 series.
How to pick a team on My11Circle
To know more about your favourite team and participate actively in Punjab team matches, or brush up on your cricket expertise and team management skills, download the My11Circle app, select a contest, create your own fantasy cricket squad, and begin your fantasy cricket adventure.
For that game, create a squad that includes all players from both teams. After the squad has been formed, you must select a contest to enter based on the entry price and reward pool.